Smudging originated from indigenous cultures for ceremonies, prayer, purifying, and offering. It is a ritual that cleanses and invites a higher energy to yourself, others or into a space.
Burning white sage is used to clear out negative energy from a space, oneself or others; and to restore balance within.
Smudging with palo santo is used for a higher vibration, to clear negative energy while inviting positive energy to flow in, for relaxation, and to purify.
How To Smudge
- Open a window to allow air flow.
- Set your intention.
- Light the end of the stick with a match or lighter for about 20-30 seconds (you will see the embers).
- Gently blow out the flame.
- Place the stick in a heatproof dish or tray and let it burn.
- Now relax and try to feel connected while allowing the white smoke to purify your space or self.
- TIP – When starting the clearing process consider starting by cleansing with sage and then follow up with the palo santo to raise the vibration and invite positive energy to flow in.
Do not leave a burning smudge wand unattended or alone around children and pets. When finished burning make sure the burning ember inside is fully extinguished.